A vehicle seat manufacturing company based in Ebbw Vale, has been fined after a worker was injured from an explosion. Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard how an operator at Sears Manufacturing Company (Europe) Limited suffered burns to his head and hands.
A highly flammable release agent is used to prevent dispensed foam sticking to the seat mould. It was during this process that the release agent ignited, causing an explosion which injured the operator.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident which occurred on 26 January 2015 found that a failure to have suitable control measures in place caused the release agent to ignite.